Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Playing with Blocks

Concrete blocks that is.  The masons started the block work yesterday.  Watch a mason work some time.  I know how I looked when I've laid concrete block and bricks.  Watching a good mason work, it's almost like watching an artist.

 The mortar is mixed perfectly - too thick and it doesn't settle correctly, too thin and it falls off tools (and blocks).  He gets just the right amount on the trowel, and butters the brick or throws it down on the block just so.  Then of course when the block is set, its a tap or two to get it level, as opposed to me who does something like hammer it into place, check, take it off, more mortar, set the block, check, take it off, less mortar, set the block, etc.


Standing at the south-east end of the house.  The garage is on the left

Standing at the front of the house.

1 comment:

  1. Precisely why I won't even attempt to patch holes in my mortar. Masons are artists, and I'll gladly pay them for their art.

    ReplyDelete